The Library of Willendorf
The library was large and held much information about Nosgoth's history within its rooms. Great rugs covered the floors; an indication of Willendorf's considerable wealth. Kain was unimpressed by the library's contents. He did not value the "dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians". However, with some inspection, he found something of interest.
Two pieces of text caught his attention. One spoke of the Pillars and the genesis of the Circle, telling how new Guardians could be called in the event of a death amongst the Nine. Summarizing its contents, Kain said that "at the unlikely death of a member, the Circle remains broken for a time, until the Pillars can cull a worthy successor".
It appeared that the historian responsible for this account hadn't quite got their facts right. In Soul Reaver 2, Janos Audron stated that "the Pillars choose their guardians from birth", and Kain was born immediately after Ariel died, instantly taking her place as Balance Guardian. It seems sensible to assume that new Guardians were always born immediately after their predecessor's demise, and therefore the Circle never 'remained broken'. The only reason the Blood Omen Guardians weren't replaced was because of the Pillars' corruption. The whole corrupt Circle - including Kain - had to be purged first.[3,4,5]
The second text mentioned a small ancient cult, associated with tales of possession. Although their god was not identified, it is almost certain that the cultists were the worshippers of Hash'ak'gik.
- [BO1] Kain: "The great library of Willendorf. Filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves."
- [BO1] Kain (referring to a book in the library): "The book spoke of the birth of the Circle. The Circle served the Pillars, protectorates to the strange power that gives life to our land. At the unlikely death of a member, the Circle remains broken for a time, until the Pillars can cull a worthy successor."
- [SR2] Janos to Raziel: "The Pillars choose their guardians from birth, Raziel - and vampires are no longer born."
- [SR2] Kain to Raziel: "As Ariel dies, I am being born to take her place as Balance Guardian. Such is my destiny."
- [SR2] Raziel to Kain "So after all this, you make my case for me. To end this stalemate you must die so that new Guardians can be born."
- [BO1] Kain: "I came upon another book of interest buried deep amongst the library's tomes. It spoke of a small cult that existed in Nosgoth, ages past. Wherever they traveled strange tales of human possession would follow. Little is known of the god they worshipped."