The city was wealthy and housed the Library of Willendorf, but only people of noble birth were allowed through the city gates. Kain was unable to enter until he had acquired his Beguile Form: a spell that allowed him to hide his vampire nature, but still appear as the nobleman he was. Kain gained this spell from the Provincial Mines; also owned by Willendorf, and a source of their riches.[1,2]
Ariel told Kain of the Legions of the Nemesis. This brutal, destructive army had already marched through "so many cities", and would inevitably threaten Willendorf. She said Kain "must rally the forces of Willendorf" as they were "the last hope of Nosgoth". This echoed what Kain had heard earlier from the Oracle of Nosgoth. Unfortunately Willendorf was in no state to fight. Kain found Ottmar in mourning for his daughter; a broken man. The Army of the Last Hope - the "proud militia" of kingdom - was scattered, searching for Elzevir the Dollmaker. Ottmar was so desperate that he offered his kingdom to whoever could save his child. Kain noted that the people of Willendorf "worshipped him, even in his weakness".[3,4,5,6,7]
Kain chose to take up the offer. He hunted and killed Elzevir, and gained the gratitude of the king. He did not take the kingdom - instead he got Ottmar to lead the Army of the Last Hope into battle against the Legions of the Nemesis. However, the Army of the Last Hope were defeated, and Ottmar was killed.[8,9,10]
With Ottmar's death, presumably the Princess of Willendorf would have briefly become Queen until the Nemesis seized it. Of course, Kain's tampering with history - his murder of William the Just - ultimately impacted these events. It is unclear what happened to Willendorf on the alternative timeline created by William's assassination, and what became of the kingdom when the Sarafan Lord, and later Kain, rose to power.
Coorhagen was apparently loyal to King Ottmar and Willendorf, as the lion sigil could be seen on many wall-hung tapestries there, and Kain himself said the "Lion Throne had once held [his] allegiance".
- [BO1] Kain: "It would seem that only those of noble lineage were allowed to pass through the illustrious gates of Willendorf Castle. And the enchantment I had cast with my Disguise was not enough to fool these Soldiers of Hope. I would need a stronger illusion to beguile them."
- [BO1] Kain: "Mighty Willendorf had sliced open the belly of the earth, reaping a bounty of precious metals and unearthing ancient secrets."
- [BO1] Ariel: "The Legions of the Nemesis are on the march from the north, crushing all in their path. 'Twas not too long ago that the Nemesis was known as William the Just, a caring and gentle benefactor of the land. But, as his army grew in strength and he himself grew in power, the veil of tyranny fell and one kingdom was not enough. So many cities, so many dead. Willendorf will be sure to follow. The Nemesis must be stopped or all shall be lost..."
Kain: "How can one stop an army?"
Ariel: "You must rally the forces of Willendorf; they are the last Hope of Nosgoth."
- [BO1] The Oracle of Nosgoth to Kain: "King Ottmar - the only hope to defeat the Legions of the Nemesis."
- [BO1] Kain: "Through whispers of the court, I learned that the Army of the Last Hope, Willendorf's proud militia, was in no condition to fight the invading Legions of the Nemesis. They were busy scouring the lands to the north, in search of the Dollmaker and Ottmar's daughter."
- [BO1] Ottmar (referring to the Princess of Willendorf): "Whoever restores her to her former self shall have this kingdom!"
- [BO1] Kain: "Ottmar slumped on his throne like a rag doll, his beard matted with the tears of his own self-pity. In my court, he would have long since been usurped by one stronger, but in Willendorf they worshipped him, even in his weakness."
- [BO1] Kain: "I entered the Court with the Dollmaker's head in one hand, and the doll containing the girl's soul in the other. I placed them both before the King and watched his eyes catch fire. With the doll in their possession, the Court's sorcerers could restore his daughter's soul."
- [BO1] Kain: "'Tis not your kingdom I desire, but your army, Ottmar. I require troops to vanquish the Horde that descends upon us from the North."
Ottmar: "Very well. Courtiers, fetch me my armor and mace. There is war to be waged!"
- [BO1] Kain: "The tide turned with Ottmar's death. I watched as the remaining survivors of the Armies of Hope fled to the safety of the forest. The battle had decided its victor; the fate of Nosgoth now lay in the Nemesis' hands."
- [BO1] Kain: "The Lion Throne had once held my allegiance. But Willendorf's days of glory had passed; it was the last bastion against an unruly future."